Millie Allen jumped to victory with a double clear in the final qualifying leg of the World Class Programme Under 23 British Championships and will compete in the final at Olympia, The London International Horse Show on 16 December 2017.
With Peter Allen and Udo Oppermann’s 12 year-old bay Stallion, Balou Star, the pair produced a fantastic performance in the final class of the day at Morris Equestrian Centre, clinching the top spot with a time of 39.31 seconds in the jump-off.
The 1.45m course, designed by Rafael Suarez, saw 30 combinations start the competition, with 13 producing clear rounds to set up an exciting final round. Two combinations stood out at the top of the leaderboard, Millie Allen (Balou Star) and Christie Pritchard (Waldemar), after both produced sub-40 second rounds, but with just 0.42 seconds separating them, it was Mille who was triumphant.
The 20 year-old from North Yorkshire, who is part of the UK Sport National Lottery funded World Class Programme, also competed at last year’s U23 final with Balou and finished fifth.
Millie commented: “I really love riding him [Balou Star]. We have a great partnership and we’ve had a great year so far. I thought it was a good track and there was a lot of a good pairs in the class and Balou was on great form.”
Third place went to Aimee Bell and Cameron Poe, owned by Mrs L Robertson as six pairs went clear in the jump-off.
- Millie Allen with Balou Star, owned by Peter Allen and Udo Oppermann = 0/0 – 39.31
- Christie Pritchard with Waldemar, owned by Hans Christian Jacobsen = 0/0 – 39.73
- Aimee Bell with Cameron Poe, owned by Mrs L Robertson = 0/0 - 42.42
- Faye Adams with Zaire, owned by Caroline Philips = 0/0 – 42.48
- Chelsea Skelton with Millfield Baloney, owned by Judith Whitham= 0/0 – 42.56
- Will Fletcher with Everytime Anywhere B, owned by Graham Fletcher = 0/0 - 47.60
- Charlie Dawson with TJM Henry de Reve, owned by Kerry Dawson = 0/4 – 38.77
- Will Fletcher with Persimmon, owned by William Fletcher = 0/4 = 40.72
*= first round penalties/ jump-off penalties – jump-off time in seconds.
The final of the Under 23 Championships will take place on the morning of Saturday 16 December 2017 at Olympia, the London International Horse Show. Details on the entrants will be released in due course.
For more information on the series click here.
The World Class Programme aims to provide Britain’s elite riders with the best preparation to represent Equestrian Team GBR on the international stage and is funded by National Lottery and Exchequer funds via UK Sport.