A team of seven British athletes have been announced by British Reining ahead of the European Championships in Givrins, Switzerland (9-12 August 2017). The team boasts a wealth of experience, with many of the selected members having previously represented Great Britain at a World Equestrian Games or European Championships.
The selected athletes are:
Seniors (listed in alphabetical order)
· Doug Allen from Bodiam, East Sussex riding Ten Reasons
· Alison Bucknell from Carne, Co Wexford riding Jac Bar Bee Dream
· Luke Phillimore from Dormans Park, Surrey riding Tin Whizzin
· Lee Rutter from Witham St Hughes, Lincoln riding Little Nic
· Francesca Sternberg from Bodiam, East Sussex with RS Barbaresco Blue
· Tabitha Sternberg Allen riding Smart Like Valentino
· Jolie Cooper riding Southern Comfort
Chef d’Equipe for the squad, Simon Barnes commented on the announcement; “It’s very good for us to be heading out to compete at the Europeans and we’re all really excited. The team are thrilled to be representing Great Britain again this summer. Of course, we now have our eyes set on WEG in the USA next year and will be looking at who may be likely team members.”
One of the Seniors and both the Youth and Junior riders will be competing as individuals. The Seniors team of four will not be selected from the announced squad until the athletes are out in Givrins. There is a good deal of pressure as all will want to get high scores; in the team event it is only the three highest scores that will count towards the overall team result, with all four team members also competing as individuals at the Championships.